Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Singapore forms ministry for "cyber-wellness"

Singapore forms ministry for cyber-wellness

Governments around the world always need a scapegoat for its people to blame, and Singapore has its sights set on video games as well. Research by Singapore's National Institute of Education shows that the country's youth game for an average of 27 hours per week.

Now I don't think that's excessive, but the government is a little worried. The ongoing study has so far polled 3,000 students over the span of three years. Lui Tuck Yew, current Minister for Information, Communications and the Arts, expressed shock over the results.

Then again, if I had teenagers in my country comparing gaming to having a girlfriend, I'd be somewhat worried too. 16-year-old World of Warcraft player Lawrence Lee commented that playing for four hours a day "is nothing." True enough if you have free time, but then he crashed and burned with the rest of his statement.

"I slept and studied only when my parents forced me to," he explained. "I even skipped brushing my teeth in the morning occasionally... It is the novelty, like getting to know a new girlfriend. You want to spend every minute with her."

Hey now, you shouldn't stop brushing just to play WoW. Just take a moment to freshen up whenever you're traveling between flight points.



‘Twilight,’ ‘True Blood’ Battle It Out At Spike TV’s Scream AwardsGoogle and Hasbro launch Monopoly City Streets game