Sunday, June 29, 2008

Games that never go out of style

Games that never go out of style

Rob Zacny appears to be a new writer over at The Escapist, and he jumped right into the fray earlier this week, charging the progression of gaming issue head-on. How is progression in the video game realm an 'issue'? Well, Zacny feels we accelerate far too fast, and leave behind the great games like trash:

"For games to be considered a worthwhile craft, classic works need to be kept alive as reference points for developers and audiences."

Well, certainly, the Wii's Virtual Console (VC) has provided an effective method of keeping classics alive while also sidestepping the taboos associated with free emulation. As well, Xbox Live Arcade has rejuvenated some old classics to the enthusiasm of gamers (Sony should really get more in on all of this). Now while VC isn't perfect, it's pretty good at what it does, and so I've compiled a list of classics I feel should be released for it, titles I feel never go completely out of style, and can still hold their own today. Note that some were not included because they've been announced for future release already (Shining Force II), or due to legalities, their release is unlikely if not impossible (Perfect Dark). Feel free to comment and add your own, and say why you feel it should be re-released.

 

Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

This game is beautiful and wonderful in every aspect I can think of. I'm extremely picky with my RPGs, but this one hits the nail on the head every which way. Gorgeous, warm looking graphics, intuitive controls that make things easy for the beginner but with a huge enough variety of options to satisfy the hardest of the hardcore, a great story, multiple paths and endings (tons of replay value), customization up the wazoo, tons of classes, great music, and..oh, I could go on. Since, as is usually the case with Atlus, the game received a limited release, this makes it a perfect fit for VC. As well, an online multiplayer feature added would make one of my all-time favourites almost too good to be true.

The Magical Quest starring Mickey Mouse

This one represents the pinnacle of dreamlike 90's gaming gold for me. Don't believe me? The plot runs a lot like Alice in Wonderland, and I suppose the look of it does a bit too. You go about traversing different worlds as Mickey, acquiring different powers, sorta Mega Man style. It all sounds borrowed and trite, maybe, but as a sum of its parts, it's a terribly unique package. Here's one of my favourite parts of the game, fighting the level 5 boss:

Faceball 2000

Originally called MIDI Maze when it was released in 1987, it was retitled Faceball 2000 and released on the Game Boy and Super Nintendo in the early 90's. This is one of those so simple yet entrancing titles; basically you're this..face thing that goes around in a maze shooting other face things. I can't explain why very well with just words, but trust me, Faceball + VC + online play = loads of fun.

Remote Control

Easily one of the most bizarre games I've ever played, but definitely one of the most fun. Remote Control is based on an old MTV game show which was more than just a little out of sorts. The NES version has its own charm, featuring a bizarre host who says all sorts of inappropriate things, a weird sort of graphical humour, and tons of useless trivia. This one's best illustrated with video though, so here you go:

Phantasy Star IV

Admittedly, I've never played much of this game, but I've always wanted to. Nevertheless, what I did play I absolutely loved. I can think of very few RPGs like PS IV; what it does it does so uniquely and stylishly it's a wonder there aren't more titles like it today. Kick ass music, great graphics and animation style (even today it's all nice to look at), fun battles, hilarious dialogue, and a solid story add up to one fine title. We've already seen PS II and the often-abhorred PS III, so this one seems likely for a future release.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time

Do I really need to explain this one? Just look at the box cover! Look at iiiiiiiit! You play as the Ninja Turtles, and you go through time. Through time, man! All that's really necessary to say beyond that is the game is well made in every respect; this was every Turtle fan's wet dream back when we were just discovering what wet dreams were.

San Francisco Rush 2049

Generally, I'm not a racing game kind of guy, but something about Rush 2049 really does it for me. Maybe it's the magical car wings, or the stunt mode that rewards you for flipping your car 8000 times in 50 different directions in under a minute, or the Battle Mode, but this game is just great. I found the difficulty got impossible not far into Circuit Mode, but maybe that's just because I suck with racers. Either way, tons of customization options for your vehicle, those classic arcade physics, and collectible coins littered throughout each track that unlock all kinds of cool stuff make for one of my favourite racers ever. Release it!

So, I could probably go on and on with this, but I'll leave it here, as that's a pretty decent selection. Again, feel free to add your own!




Documentary on Wireless Philadelphia Released
Weekend NeoVids: Crysis Warhead, Saint’s Row 2, C&C 3 Kane’s Wrath