Monday, December 1, 2008

Black Mesa (Half-Life mod) trailer arrives

Black Mesa (Half-Life mod) trailer arrives

Half-Life fans everywhere were pretty dissapointed when Half-Life: Source was released, essentially a mod that improved water and lighting. Considering the Source engine used for it was what powered Half-Life 2, this dissapointment was nothing short of understandable. However, fans can rejoice as a team has been working on a proper Half-Life 2 mod to power the original, and a trailer has just been released showing off what is called "Black Mesa":

I know I'm supposed to be professional and all that, but does this not look like one of the greatest gaming experiences ever? The part where the Collider explodes in particular gave me shivers. And since I never beat the last boss in Half-Life (I had to use a cheat code on that infamous part of the last level too -- yes I hang my head in shame for both of these gaming sins), this is an especially great treat.

Honestly they could partner with Valve and release this at full price and I'd buy it, along with tons of other gamers I'm sure. But it's free, all free! Well, the bad news is apparently any game using the Source Engine is required to be bought from Steam in order for it to work. I'm not entirely a fan of Steam, so hopefully an alternate method of implementation surfaces. I would hope owning a physical copy would do the job.

For more media and details on what the mod offers, head over to the Black Mesa website.