Friday, May 30, 2008

CAL gets a visit from spammers

CAL gets a visit from spammers


These days we hear about many exploits in softwares and internet suites, Microsoft having a bad week with vulnerabilities allowing botnets to attack systems, PHP exploits coming up, Apple having their own application problems and so on, but we rarely get to see older things like listserv clients being compromised by intruders.

Today though CAL seems to have gotten hit with a round of spam on their system, given that the interface when I got to the page looked pretty familiar as a general application for managing lists it might be safe to say that it was an old version with a vulnerability or maybe it really was brute forced or breeched in some other form. As a result though many gamers on the list were subjected to strange initial invites to private pictures from mysterious women and then bootleg software ads.

The spam stopped around 2:30pm for me so hopefully the admins of the listserv have addressed it, but I guess one should never be too prone to just trust even the simplest things like a newsletter.j

(Note: we checked the original header to ensure we were seeing this come out of a CPL or CAL source, it seems that the origin is authentic though)

Here are the body clips from the spam.

Title: Remember me?
"Hello! I am tired this afternoon. I am nice girl that would like to chat with you. Email me at xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxt only, because I am using my friend's email to write this. I will show you some of my private pictures"

Title: Can we talk?
"Hello! I am tired tonight. I am nice girl that would like to chat with you. Email me at xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx only, because I am using my friend's email to write this. Will send some of my pictures"

Title: Looking for someone?
"Hello! I am bored today. I am nice girl that would like to chat with you. Email me at xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx only, because I am using my friend's email to write this. Don't miss some of my naughty pictures."

Title: Office 2OO8 beta in Internet Explorer
"*removed software list*


Thirty years after the congressional debate over the Panama Canal Treaty, Adam Clymer's book, Drawing the Line at the Big Ditch, makes the case that the  issue helped make the Reagan Revolution possible. Adam Clymer, Robert Siegel and his co-host from 30 years ago, Linda Wertheimer, remember the historic debate.
Olympic Torch Lit amid Protest in Greek Ceremony"

Seems no one is left safe these days, although I did find it a bit humorous for them to be trying to spam singles ads or even possibly adult ads to gamers / semi-pro aspiring gamers.

If we get a decent direct contact for the CAL we'll let you know their take, presently I'm trying to hunt down something that looks like a decent working email.




Age Of Conan Euro CE Keys Not Working